My PSEA Login



Find your next substitute teaching job

You can make a difference as a substitute teacher

There’s a substitute teacher and support professional shortage in Pennsylvania’s public schools, and it’s making it hard for kids to learn. Our schools need substitutes. Badly.

There are many Pennsylvanians who would make excellent substitute teachers and support professionals.

The resources below describe new rules that make it easier for someone to become a substitute teacher. For potential substitute teachers and support professionals, the map and contact information make it easy to connect with any school entity in Pennsylvania and inquire about opportunities to become a substitute.

Click on a school district below for contact information

Do you hold a teaching certificate?

If you already hold a Pennsylvania teaching certificate or a professional-level out-of-state educator certificate, you may be eligible to become a substitute teacher right away once your background clearances are completed and on file.  Educators with teaching certificates outside the U.S. may be eligible to work as substitute teachers if they are U.S. citizens or have permanent resident alien status.

Do you have a bachelor's degree?

If you have a bachelor’s degree but do NOT have a teaching certificate, you can still be a substitute teacher!

A school district can hire you as a substitute teacher by working with you to request an “emergency permit” on your behalf. 

You will need to contact the school district where you want to sub for more information on its specific requirements, processes, procedures, and compensation for substitute teachers.

Are you a college student?

College students who have completed a minimum of 60 credits in a Pennsylvania teacher preparation programs can serve as substitutes.

Soon-to-be-college graduates who have completed all of their requirements except a PRAXIS exam and have not yet received their diplomas can become day-to-day substitutes or long-term substitutes on a temporary basis.