Testing Requirements for Your Certificate
Testing requirements for certification differ by certificate type and content area. In some cases, you will be required to take a test developed and administered by Pearson, while in other cases you will need to complete a test developed and administered by Praxis. There are also cases in which you will need to complete tests from both Pearson and Praxis.
Instructional I Certificate
Initial certification for: Early Childhood (grades N-3)*, Elementary Education (grades K-6)*, and all K-12 areas (e.g., Art, Library Science, Music, Reading Specialist, etc.)
Initial certification for: Grades PK-4, Special Education PK-8 or 7-12
- PAPA: Reading, Writing, Mathematics
- PECT test(s) for the certificate(s)
Initial certification for: Grades 4-8
Initial certification for: Middle Level (7-9)*
Initial certification for: Secondary Certifications (7-12)
* Note: Certificates available only through August 31, 2013. All requirements must be met and application received prior to this date.
Secondary Areas (7-12) and K-12 Areas
Cooperative Education, Early Childhood Education (grades N-3)*, Elementary Education (grades K-6)*, Grades PK-4, Grades 4-8, Health and Physical Education, Reading Specialist, and all Special Education areas
- Completion of an approved preparation program
- Appropriate subject assessments
Educational Specialist Certificate
Elementary Counselor, Secondary Counselor, or School Psychologist
- PPST: Reading, Writing
- Occupational Competency Assessment
- PPST Mathematics OR Vocational General Knowledge test (if taken prior to 9/1/2008 and within ten years of the date of application)
Additional Information regarding the Praxis Series
Individuals who do not pass the Praxis may be eligible for a free re-test, provided by the Educational Testing Service. Learn more about this opportunity.
Preservice Praxis Testing Scores chart.
The Pennsylvania Department of Education has given some alternatives to the Praxis cut off scores to get a teaching certificate. April 2010