Find additional suggestions on PSERS website.
- Within five years of retirement, attend an Association pre-retirement seminar to get information on your PSERS option choices and financial planning.
- Examine your latest Statement of Account from PSERS and verify the information.
- Make a Purchase of Service (POS) request while still employed if you have any previous school service in Pennsylvania that is not reflected on your estimate, or any out-of-state school service, active military service, or any other type of qualifying service.
- Contact PSERS at the beginning of your final employment year to secure an estimate of your retirement benefits. For a listing of PSERS' regional offices and telephone numbers, visit www.psers.state.pa.us.
- Review the PSERS retirement benefit estimate, and carefully consider the benefit options based on your personal and total financial circumstances. Within six months of expected retirement, call the PSERS regional office and schedule a Retirement Exit Counseling session. They will assist you in completing your retirement application.
- In the year prior to your retirement, investigate your employer's guidelines for retiring, terminating, and resigning. Also, check with your local association for any negotiated retirement benefits and options for continuing health insurance coverage without interruption.